Alaska Temporary Assistance Program Application Instructions
One may apply for ATAP by downloading a printable form, filling it and mailing it to the nearest Public Assistance office.
The form may be downloaded by clicking here.
You will need Acrobat Reader to view and print the form from your computer. The software can be downloaded for free here.
The online form can be used to apply for a number of Alaska Public Assistance programs including ATAP, Medicaid and Food Stamps. To apply for ATAP, you will need to tick Temporary Assistance in Part A of the form. After that, you are supposed to fill out the whole of the remaining part of the form.
After filling it out, you may mail it or hand-deliver it to a Public Assistance office. You can obtain a list of Public Assistance offices and their addresses by clicking here.
In order to be eligible for ATAP, the family must have no more than $2000 in resources that are categorized as countable' or no more than $3000 if an individual aged 60 and above is part of the household. Resources that are not countable' include most vehicles, the home itself and household goods.
If the applying family does not have more than $2000 (or $3000 where applicable) in countable income, for them to be eligible the income must also be less than the stipulated income limit according to the number of individuals in the household. The income limits and maximum payments are set as follows:
- A household consisting of 2 persons must have an income of $1347 or less. They would receive a maximum of $821 through ATAP.
- A household consisting of 3 persons must have an income of $1516 or less. They would receive a maximum of $923 through ATAP.
- A household consisting of 4 persons must have an income of $1685 or less. They would receive a maximum of $1025 through ATAP.
- A household consisting of 5 persons must have an income of $1854 or less. They would receive a maximum of $1127 through ATAP.
- A household consisting of 6 persons must have an income of $2023 or less. They would receive a maximum of $1229 through ATAP.
There are further guidelines on ATAP benefits based on whether the household has two parents, whether it includes an adult, whether it only has a child and whether it has a pregnant woman. The complete table of maximum ATAP payment standards can be downloaded by clicking here.
The focus of ATAP is self sufficiency so able family members are required to immediately seek paid employment opportunities in order for the family to gradually cease from receiving financial aid.
If they can not immediately find jobs, they are required to engage in activities that would enable them to gain skills that would make them eligible for employment. Such activities include community work, skills training, GED preparation and adult education.