Temporary Assistance for Families Application Instructions
Apply by downloading application
In order to apply for Temporary Assistance for Families (TAFI) in Idaho, you can download application form and submit it to local Health and Welfare Office once completed.
The application form contains hints to help you to complete it easily. You will also find instruction for completing the form at the beginning of application form.
Apply in Person
You can also apply in person by finding and visiting your local office. Once you are at the office, you will find someone to talk to and seek information. You will be helped with everything about applying for the TAFI benefits.
Get Application Help by Phone
You can ask for an application on phone by simply dialing 1-800-926-2588. Ask the operator to send an application to your mailing address. After you have the application, you will have to complete it in all respects and send it to your local Health and Welfare Office or even send it via mail to the office.
Eligibility for TAFI
- Resident of state of Idaho
- U.S citizen or a legal alien
- Families with a dependent child (child under 19) or a pregnant woman
- Families looking to receive TAFI benefits should meet definition of ‘needy'. Families with earned income less than the grant amount will be 'needy' families for the program.
- Families with resources less than $2,000 are considered for TAFI benefits
- Parents will have to participate in work activity and meet all requirements of such activity
- Parents should cooperate with Child Support Services (CSS) in order to receive benefits through TAFI
Eligibility for Child-only TAFI
TAFI program also provides aid to children if they are eligible, even when they living with caretaker relative and not their real parents. Caretaker relative will have the choice to include himself or herself in the grant at the time of making an application for it.
Child-only TAFI offers more-relaxed eligibility criteria.
- Countable income for the purpose of TAFI is only child's income and not caretaker's income
- Eligibility regarding time limit does not apply
- Caretaker not choosing to receive TAFI benefits will be free from work activity requirements for the program
- Caretaker relative for child-only TAFI are not required to cooperate with Child Support Services but they are encouraged to fill all the forms and provide as much information as much possible