Massachusetts MassHealth Medicaid Application Instructions
Apply by Mail
You can apply by mail after completing the application form for MassHealth. However, you will first have to get an application form. You can get it in two ways:
- Phone: Call 1 888 665 9997 to reach MassHealth Enrollment Center. You can request more information about the program as well as an application form to be sent to your mailing address.
- Internet: You can get your application form by downloading it from the internet. You can download application form from MassHealth website.
Once you have the form, you will have to fill out all the five pages and sign the form. You will also be required to send supporting documents along with the form. A proof of your income will also be required by the MassHealth Enrollment Center to ensure that you are stating truth about income and your assets.
Apply in Person
Apply in person: You can apply in person by visiting a community center near you. You will get all the information and application forms from your community center.
MassHealth uses state as well as federal rules to determine the eligibility for candidates. Here are some basic rules for determining the eligibility for MassHealth:
- You can apply for MassHealth (Medicaid) if you are parenting children under 19
- You can apply if you are a caretaker relative of a child or children under 19. In order to qualify under this category, neither of the parents should be living in the house.
- Children can apply themselves if they are under 19. Whether they are living with a family or without it, will not affect their eligibility status.
- Pregnant women can also apply for MassHealth whether they have kids or not
- You can apply for MassHealth if you are unemployed, risk losing job, or under employed
- If you are disabled, you can apply for MassHealth
- People who are HIV positive can also apply for MassHealth
- Women under the age of 65 and requiring treatment of breast cancer or cervical cancer can also apply for MassHealth
Applicants will have to fall in one of the above-mentioned categories in order to qualify for benefits through MassHealth program. Apart from these general eligibility rules, applicants will also have to be on low income. They will have to be within financial limits set for the program.
Having health insurance already doesn't disqualify you for MassHealth. In some cases, MassHealth will pay a part to cover your private insurance instead of providing you its own insurance plan.