MIChild Application Instructions
There are several ways through which one can apply for the the Michigan Child Health Insurance Program (MIChild), these include:
You may ask for an application form from your local health department or download here:
Fill out all the required fields, sign it and mail it to:
PO Box 30412
Lansing, MI 48909
Applying for MIChild online is fast and easy. It only takes about 30 minutes to complete the application by following these steps:
- Go to: www.healthcare4mi.com/michild-web/
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click "Start Application"
- o Select "Start New" if this is your first time to apply. You will be given an application number and password. Fill up all the required fields. The application process will discontinue if the required fields are not completed. Once accomplished, click submit.
If you have already received a renewal number, type that number in the box provided. If you have an unfinished application, enter your application number and password.
Apply by Phone/In-Person
Call 1 (888)988-6300 during business hours from Mondays thru Fridays. Ask for a representative and request an application to be sent to you.
Note: The entire application process will be faster if you have the following documents with you:
- Proof of Age and Identification:
- United States Passport
- Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Driver's License
- School ID
- Social Security Number
You will be given 30 calendar days if your application is incomplete or when you still need to get some verification. If the application is incomplete, or verifications need to be obtained, the Administrative Contractor will send you a written request for such information. Your application will be denied if you fail to furnish all the necessary documents.
Eligibility starts on the second month after the approval. Routine interviews and audits are done to ensure that each MIChild enrollee gets his benefits or if child still qualifies for it.
To be eligible for MIChild, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Proven US citizenship or immigrant status
- Established Michigan residence, including those who only work within the state
- Social Security Number for all applicants except for newborns
- Not be detained in any prison, detention home, correctional facility or mental institution
For a thorough list of eligibility requirements, visit: