Medicaid Application Instructions
There are several ways to apply for Medicaid:
Via mail/walk-in application
Click here to download an application form. Be sure to fill out all of the fields.
Mail or submit your application in person to:
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services System
P.O. Box 95044
Lincoln, NE 68509-5044
Get application help via phone
Call toll-free 1-800-430-3244 or (800) 383-4278 and ask for an application to be sent to you. You may also view the DHHS locations by county here.
Once you submit your application, a certified Medicaid Eligibility Specialist will carefully review it. Age, citizenship, disability and income limits are among the factors that will determine if you can be eligible for the program. Thus, it is best to bring the documents listed below to prove your identity and source/s of income. You may not need all of the documents listed below. They are just examples of what you need to bring.
- Proof of Identification: Birth certificates, ID cards, Social Security Numbers, Citizenship or Immigrant status
- Proof of Income: Pay stubs from employment (includes jobs left within the last 90 days), ledgers and income tax returns from self employment such as farming, child support or alimony, Social Security income, pension, unemployment benefits, interest or dividends, student income
- Other Sources: checking and savings accounts, stocks and bonds, certificates of deposits, retirement accounts, property owned other than the home you live in, automobiles
- Monthly Expenditures: - apartment, lot or house rental receipts, water or electricity bills, health expenses including medical insurance, child support payments, etc.
The Nebraska Medical Assistance Program (Medicaid) can assist low-income households in paying for certain medical services. You can avail of this program if you are:
- Parent(s) with dependent children
- Resident of Nebraska
- 19 years old and below
- Expectant mother
- Aged, Blind and Person with Disability
- You meet certain income requirementS