Medicaid Application Instructions
There are several ways to apply for Medicaid:
Apply by Phone:
You can call apply for Medicaid by requesting an application. You will need to call your local Department of Social Services. You can find contact details for all local offices of the department here. Find the relevant office and request for application forms on phone.
Apply in Person:
You can apply in person by visiting your local department of Social Services. Once you are there, ask for Medicaid application or any other help you may need. You can use locate an office near you here.
Apply by Mail:
You can apply for Medicaid program through regular mail. Download the application, fill it and then send it to Department of Social Services. The application is in PDF format so you will require a PDF reader to view it.
Apply Through a Facilitated Enroller (FE):
You can also apply through a Facilitated Enroller (FE). Find a Facilitated Enroller here.
You can also apply online, although you will still have to send applications by mail. All you can do online is to fill and print applications. You can use ACCESS Fill and Print Application page and fill online before printing it. .
How to Apply if in NY City:
If you are in New York City, you can easily obtain applications from Human Resources Administration. You can also request information and applications on phone by calling at 718 557 1399.
NOTE: If you need any further assistance, you can call helpline at (855) 693-6765.
Other requirements for applying
In order to apply for Medicaid, you will need to provide
- Proof of age
- Proof of citizenship
- If someone above 65 years of age, disabled or blind lives with you, you will need to provide proof of your income and resources
- Proof of your residence
- If you have any other insurance, you'll be required to provide its proof and information about it
Medicaid provides a comprehensive coverage for various health services including
- Inpatient and outpatient services
- Nursing care
- Home health care through approved agencies
- Access to smoking cessation agents
- Lab facilities and access to tests
- Eye, dental and mental health services
- Prescription drugs, medical supplies, and necessary medical equipment
- Transportation services
- Parental care
- Various other services required for the maintenance of health of beneficiaries
What if your income is above Medicaid income limits?
If your income is above income limits set by Medicaid, you can still be eligible for Family Health Plus or Family Planning Benefit program.
If you are applying for Medicaid, you will qualify if:
- You are a resident of state of New York
- You are a citizen of U.S or legal alien
- You have medical expenses beyond your income
- You receive support from Supplementary Security Income (SSI)
Apart from these two requirements, you will also be required to meet certain income and resources related requirements. These financial requirements will mainly decide whether you get Medicaid free, with co-payments, or disqualify to receive any insurance cover through the program.
If you want to check whether you qualify for Medicaid or any other public health insurance programs, you can use ACCESS NY Screening Tool.