FI Application Instructions
There are two ways to apply for South Carolina Family Independence (FI)
In order to apply online, you will have to visit SCMAPP website and fill application online. You will be able to sign it online with the help of an online tool embedded into the website. Once completed and signed, submit it and you are done.
You can even check the status of your application online using SCMAPP website. You don't have to wait for office hours since you can apply any time through SCMAPP online services.
Apply in Person
You can also apply in person by going to your county Department of Social Services office.
Please visit the following website to locate you local Parish Department of Health and hospitals office: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/directory/detail/691
Alternatively, call 1-888-342-6207 and ask for assistance.
The following is a list of some of the eligibily requirements for the South Carolina Family Independence (FI):
- Resident of South Carolina
- Must be responsible for a child under 19 years of age or be a pregnant woman
- Cooperate and participate in Family Independence Work program
- Cooperate with child support program
- One or both of the parents should be unemployed, underemployed, or about to be employed
- Gross monthly and unearned income must be below 185% of the income standard depending on the family size. You can view complete need standards here.
How the program works
Your case manager will prepare a plan so that you can become self-sufficient within 24-month period. The program involves interviews, assessment tests, and various screening tests. Families are helped with a monthly cash aid as well as support services throughout the program.
The program provides various services to enrollees. These include employment planning and training to on-the-job training. Services provided through the plan also cover child support services as well as 'childcare and transportation for training and employment' related services.