Medicaid Application Instructions
To apply for Medicaid benefits in Maine, you need to meet the general as well as the income eligibility guidelines. If you qualify for Medicaid, you can follow the steps below to file an application for benefits.
The easiest way to apply for Medicaid benefits in Maine is to fill an application online. Follow the instructions below to start your online application.
- Visit MaineConnection website.
- Sign in with your username and password. If this is your first visit to this website, then you need to create a new account. It just takes a minute so follow along once you have created your account.
- Once signed in, you can easily start the application.
- If you didn't complete the application in one sitting, you can come back to resume it later. Just sign in again and you will be able to resume your application from where you left it last time.
Apply by mail
If you don't want to complete an online application, you can easily download and print an application. Follow the instructions below to apply for Medicaid/MaineCare by mail.
- Visit this link to download a printable application form.
- Once downloaded, print the application.
- Complete the downloaded application form by providing necessary details.
- Mail the completed application to 114 Corn Shop Lane, Farmington, ME 04938.
Apply by phone
You can also apply for MaineCare or Medicaid in Maine by making a phone call. To enroll using phone, call at 1-855-797-4357.
Apply in person
If nothing above works for you for some reason or you just prefer applying in person, you can visit your local Office for Family Independence. A representative at the office will help you with the Medicaid application process.
To apply for Medicaid in Maine, you must be a resident of Maine and a U.S. national or a legal alien. Additionally, you must fall into one of the Medicaid categories given below.
- Children under the age of 19 years
- Pregnant women
- A parent or a relative of a qualified child under the age of 19 years.
- Individual living in a household with at least one disabled or elderly person as a member of the household.
Income eligibility for MaineCare/Medicaid
In order to receive Medicaid benefits in Maine (MaineCare), you need to meet the following income guidelines according to the size of your household.
Number of people in the household Income limit for the household
If your household consists of more than eight members, you need to add$5,533 for each additional person to find income limit.
It is always a good practice to check income limits with the DHS office or a Medicaid agency at the time of filing application since these guidelines are subject to change with time.