California WAP Application Information
Most homes have invisible holes and cracks that can't be seen in areas around the windows, doors and pipes. As a result, warm air produced by the heaters during winter sneaks and escapes through the holes and cracks. Same happens with cool air produced by air conditioners during summer.
Weatherizing homes stops air from escaping making homes remain warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Utility bills become lower due to the fact that cooled or heated air is not lost. The most common types of weatherization covered in this program include: sealing holes and cracks, putting insulation in the attic, fixing or replacing windows, putting an insulated blanket around water heaters, making sure heating and air conditioning systems are working right. In the long run, this reduces cooling and heating costs for low income households and also ensures health and safety in their homes. In California alone, the average yearly savings after weatherization is $437 per household.
Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is an energy conservation service for low-income Californians meant to significantly reduce home energy bills for a long time. One time measures such as insulating walls and roofs of your home guarantees life time savings. Other procedures such as making your cooling or heating equipment more efficient provides savings for over10 years. This is basically what is covered by Weatherization Assistance Program.
In order to qualify for this benefit program you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You must be a resident of the state of California in need of financial assistance for home energy costs.
- Qualified to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Aid to Families with Dependent Children.
- You are over 60 years of age
- Have a family member with special needs
- You must have an annual household income (before taxes) that is below the following amounts:
|Family Size||Annual Income|
For family units with more than 8 members add $1,416 for each additional member.
Once your eligibility is approved, your local weatherization agency puts you on a waiting list. Residents with urgent needs are usually put on top of the list. Then the following tasks are carried out by professional weatherization personnel from your area:
- Professional energy consultation is carried out
- Infiltration of outside air using a blower door is tested
- Your equipment is tested for safety and health
- Analysis of the most pocket friendly energy measures for your household is made
- Your local weatherization agency puts you on a schedule and work begins
WAP Application Instructions
The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this benefit.
You can contact a local provider to determine your eligibility: www.csd.ca.gov/Services/FindServicesinYourArea
You can follow this link to begin the online application: Apply Online Here.
- Fill an application form which takes approximately 20 minutes
- Produce proof of income for the year prior to your application.
- Must be a parent or a responsible guardian of a young child who is too young to be admitted in any public school.
- Proof of number of people living in your household.
If you need further help please call: 1 (866) 675-6623