Georgia Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) Application Information
How to Apply for Emergency Food Assistance Program
Enter your zip code to get started.
The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEPAF) is a national program which makes free, nutritious food available to the low-income people of Georgia in times of crisis. This includes the elderly, children and the homeless. TEPAF distributes the food through authorized outlets such as food banks, soup kitchens, food pantries and other Georgia community action centers.
Authorized agencies such as churches and community service offices distribute TEPAF directly to the poor and needy. Any privately donated food items are added to the food packs or brown bags to increase each eligible resident's food allocation.
TEPAF is made available to individuals who pass the eligibility requirements as mandated by the state. Thus, the elderly, children, working families and homeless who live below the poverty level are provided with free emergency food for a certain period of time.
Once the application form is submitted, the head of the household will be interviewed by a caseworker. To make the entire process faster, it will help if you bring the following documents:
To prove your identity
- Birth certificate
- United States Passport
- Hospital or Health Records
- Immigration documents (for non-US citizens)
- Social Security Number
To prove your financial status
- Confirmation of income for each member of the household (payment stubs, unemployment benefits, certificates of donations from family and friends, letters of award for social security or veterans administration, etc.
- Latest receipt of monthly rental or mortgage payment book
- Health care/hospitalization bills for people 60 and above and/or people with disabilities
NOTE: You are given ten days to submit any of these records if you do not have them during your application.
TEPAF delivers its food products to local, authorized outlets such as:
- Food Banks is the place where TEPAF deposits its food items. Food banks also collect private donations which they combine with the TEPAF allocation. They then distribute it to food pantries, soup kitchens and other Georgia Community Action Agencies.
- Soup Kitchens are places where eligible residents can sit down and eat hot meals on a regular schedule like lunch every Tuesday or dinner every Saturday.
- Food Pantries is where the needy can get free groceries and ingredients which they can cook at home.
- Georgia Community Action Agencies dole out a particular amount of USDA food commodities to the poor and needy on specific schedules which are pre-announced through public notices.
Georgia TEPAF aims to give emergency food assistance to individuals who live below the poverty level. However, there are still some factors to be met to avail of the said program. Such eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Proof of citizenship or immigrant status
- Documents proving your household's income requirements. Click here to find out if you are eligible.
Emergency Food Assistance Program Application Instructions
To apply for TEPAF, the household head, member or authorized household representative may choose from the following options:
Applying for food stamps or TEPAF in Georgia is made easier and faster with their newly designed website which is open 24/7. Click here to begin your Online Application.
Click the link above and choose the picture that says "apply for benefits".
Apply by Mail or Walk-In Application
Go to: http://dfcs.dhs.georgia.gov/food-stamps , click the link that says Form 297. Have it printed then fill up all the required information and sign it. You may also get the same application form from the nearest Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS) office then submit it there as soon as you have completed it. A DFCS representative will assist you, Mondays thru Fridays, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Get Help Via Phone
Click here to locate your county office, It contains all county offices addresses, telephone and fax numbers. Just dial your county's number during business hours, Mondays thru Fridays, and a representative will help you.