LIHEAP Application Instructions
To enroll for the California LIHEAP program, you have to complete a LIHEAP application. Fill out the mandatory energy assistance application form accurately. Include all your sources of income to enable the energy assistance office determine if you qualify for the low income energy assistance. Application can be done over the phone by dialing.
1-866-675-6623 - Toll free Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m.- 5 p.m. (Mountain Time) and speak to a State representative
LIHEAP hand filled applications must be mailed to the LIHEAP office in order to receive your energy assistance benefit. You can get the address for your energy assistance office by calling 1-866-675-6623 - Toll free Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m.- 5 p.m. (Mountain Time) and speak to a State representative
Once you are LIHEAP approved and have been considered to be of low income, you will start receiving energy assistance on your energy bill. Remember to alert the energy assistance office in California who your energy provider is so that your bills can be adjusted according to your energy assistance benefit. LIHEAP will either reduce your electric bill or pay for the entire bill.
Any California LIHEAP agency near you determines if your household's income qualifies for the program. In order to qualify for this program, you must be a resident of the state of California and in need financial assistance for home energy costs. Information and documentation required include
- Recent copies of your utility bills.
- A recent payroll slip or other proof that shows your current income before tax.
- Documentation showing income from Social Security, Unemployment Insurance, Pension Funds, disability, etc.
- Utility termination notice that is if you have received a disconnection notice from your energy company.
- Proof of current residential address which may include; rent receipt, lease or deed, property tax bill, etc.
- Proof of total members living in your household using birth certificates, school records, social security cards living in your home, etc.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence.
- Have an yearly household income below the following amounts before taxes:
|Household Size||Annual Income|
|More than 9||$79,102|
|Each additional person||$1,683|