OAP Application Instructions

There are several options available for filling out an application for assistance in Colorado.

1. Online: Visit www.colorado.gov/peak to apply online. PEAK is a secure web site run by the State of Colorado, and is available in both English and Spanish.

2. In-Person: Visit any County Human Services office to apply at a computer kiosk and County workers are always available to assist. If unable to visit a County office in person due to reasons such as disability, you may send a trusted representative to apply and be interviewed on your behalf. You must designate that individual as your trusted/ authorized representative in writing.

3. By Mail: Visit www.colorado.gov, download the application document and print. Fax, mail or deliver it in-person to your County Human Services offices. Adobe Reader is required to view and print these applications can only viewed and printed using Adobe Reader. Application is available in English and Spanish.

You can also make inquires over the phone by calling your counties Human Services Customer Service hotline. You can find the number for your county listed here.

Eligibility Requirements

To determine eligibility, an application must be completed with verification of income, resources, expenses, Social Security number(s), proof of lawful presence and a signed affidavit. An interview will determine if any further verification is required. Bring as many of the following documents as possible. Do not wait to apply if you do not have all verifications needed. You can gather needed information after your application has been received.

Proof of age such as:

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as: Birth Certificate, Social Security Card, Baptismal Certificate, Naturalization Papers, Passport, or Alien Registration Papers.
  • Proof of Colorado residency, such as: Client Statement, Rent Receipt, Lease Agreement, Mortgage Statement, Voter Registration, Utility Bill, Phone Bill.
  • Proof of you and your spouse's gross income, such as: Payroll stubs, verification of social security and SSI, Tax return, letter from employer.
  • Proof of other income or checks you receive e.g. child support, alimony, self-employment, financial aid.
  • Proof of resources, such as: Cash, Checking/Savings/Certificate of Deposit Bank Statements.
  • Letter from the Bank, Statements for investment accounts, stocks, bonds, Vehicle Registration (vehicles, boats, motor homes, etc.), Letter from Broker, Life Insurance Policy, Letter from Life Insurance Company, Burial Contract or Policy, Tax Return, Letter from County Assessor's Office.

Re-Determination After every year it is mandatory for all OAP recipients to have their eligibility re-assessed. During re-determination, if the situation has not changed, generally a paper re-determination can be mailed. Otherwise, a full re-determination must be done, which may involve a one on one meeting with the county department of social/human services.