HeadStart Application Instructions
To apply for Head Start program, you'll need to find a Head Start program near you.
- Find a Head Start program near you by clicking HERE and then by clicking your county or use National Head Start Locator to find locations and driving directions for program centers and grantees.
- Obtain necessary forms from local program center. You can also inquire further about the application requirements and necessary documents from the program center.
- Call 1 (866) 763-6481 to find more about Head Start program for your community
- Resident of state of South Carolina
- You must be a parent or a primary caregiver of a child who is too young for admission to a public school
- Families applying for the program should have annual household income at or below Federal Poverty level. For a household with only one member, the FPL is set at $14521. For a family of two, the income limit is set at $19669 while for a family of three, the income limit is set at $24817. You can find complete chart with income limit details a family sized up to eight Here.
In case a family doesn't meet income eligibility, it can still qualify for the program if:
- U.S national, citizen or permanent resident
- Financial status is either low-income or very low-income
- Parent or primary caregiver is unemployed, about to be unemployed, or Under-employed
- Family supports children under 19 years of age
- Families receiving TANF or SSI
- Children in foster care are usually eligible for the program without considering financial eligibility