Nebraska Aid to Dependent Children (ADC) Application Information

The Nebraska Aid to Dependent Children, also known as ADC or Cash Assistance is jointly funded with state and federal money. The program aims to keep the dependent, minor children in their own homes by helping parents provide their basic necessities such as food, shelter, health care, etc. This is done by assisting parents to get employment or acquire skills required for certain jobs until they are able to live self-sufficiently and independently.

The Nebraska Aid to Dependent Children assists households with minor, dependent children in several ways:

  • Its flagship program, Aid to Dependent Children offers cash assistance to parents of dependent minors for their food, shelter, utilities and other basic necessities.
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP can help augment a household's food supply.
  • Medicaid, on the other hand, gives health care assistance to the minor children as well as their parents or other responsible adults who pass the eligibility requirements and are financially incapable of paying for their own medical needs.
  • Households may apply and qualify for subsidized child care so in order for the able-bodied adults to take part in Employment First
  • Employment First aims to help able adults to undergo training as well as find and maintain gainful employment until they reach self-sufficiency

To qualify for the program, a household must meet the income requirements as mandated by the state. Households may consist of both parents and their children, a single parent (separated, divorced or widowed) or in the absence of both parents, other family members such as grandparents, aunts or uncles may receive the benefits on behalf of the minors who are under their care.

Eligibility Requirements

Click here to download the official list of eligibility requirements.

The Nebraska Aid to Dependent Children or ADC can give cash assistance to eligible individuals. You can qualify for the said program if you are:

  • Parent(s) with dependent children
  • Resident of Nebraska
  • 19 years old and below
  • or an expectant mother
  • You meet certain income requirements

Aid to Dependent Children Application Instructions

There are several ways to apply for Nebraska ADC:

Via mail/walk-in application

Click here to download an application.

Mail or submit it in person to:

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services System
P.O. Box 95044
Lincoln, NE 68509-5044

Get an Application or Application Assistance by Phone

Call toll-free 1-800-430-3244 or (800) 383-4278 and ask for an application to be sent to you. You may also contact your local DHHS office, click here to find the office for your county.

Required Documents

Age, citizenship, disability and income limits are among the factors that an interviewer will consider when you apply for the program. Thus, it is best to bring the documents listed below to prove your identity and source/s of income. Examples of these documents are:

  • Proof of Identification: Birth certificates, ID cards, Social Security Numbers, Citizenship or Immigrant status
  • Proof of Income: Pay stubs from employment (includes jobs left within the last 90 days), ledgers and income tax returns from self employment such as farming, child support or alimony, Social Security income, pension, unemployment benefits, interest or dividends, student income
  • Other Sources: checking and savings accounts, stocks and bonds, certificates of deposits, retirement accounts, property owned other than the home you live in, automobiles
  • Monthly Expenditures: - apartment, lot or house rental receipts, water or electricity bills, health expenses including medical insurance, child support payments, etc.